Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Fly High But Don’t Forget To Visit Me

“Granny, I knew that one day you had to leave, but I never figured it’d be so soon. Tears of joy filled my eyes; warmth filled my heart when I knew you didn’t have to suffer anymore. Memories in that little brick house replay in my mind. All the things we’d do everyday made me reminisce.”
The pick-up line “We’ll be back with A.N.T. Farm! Don’t go anywhere!” screamed in my ear as I watch Disney Channel. I knew then a commercial had appeared. I glanced at the TV and that was when I saw something that made me go into a daze.
Beep, beep, beep! As my sister and I awakened we smelled the bacon smoke with a mixture of golden, honey biscuits. In my mind I wondered what was beeping, until I finally realized it was the smoke alarm!  We ran into the kitchen as fast as we could and to my surprise, there she was.
“Granny, why are you up cooking alone?” I said.
“I gotta feed you, Baby! You need some meat on your bones.”
I cracked a smile and said, “Well, granny, you know I’m already plump enough.”
She giggled and said, “Girl, get in here and eat!”
Vroom! The cars sounded as they passed us because of my granny’s slow driving. Honk! That’s the sound I kept hearing repeatedly when we turned into the store’s parking lot. She always pressed her brakes for entirely too long just to slow down and turn. That’s when embarrassment struck! I’d duck down into the seat just in case any of my friends were there to see me in the car. Laughing was the last thing on my mind at that point, but now I laugh all day about it.
We’d go in the store and get groceries for the night’s dinner. Then we would go home and have fun eating and talking with a little jokes to crack up on also.
“Whew! Girl, your husbands gonna love you!” she’d say as I massaged her feet. She loved for me to soak them and put lotion on them afterwards. They would be so swollen that they looked like they were about to burst. But when I was finished, she would feel so much better.
“Terrica!” my sister yelled waking me up out of my daze.
I sat for a second and then I realized it was true that I was missing you. Memories, memories... what am I going to do without you?

2 comments:

  1. I love your story! I can totally relate to the feeling of missing your grandma and the memories you had together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time reading this, it was amazing! I thought you were just joking when you said that yours was a great piece of writing! I love this and I remember all of those times together! Lol. Great job and continue to excel with your writing!

    ReplyDelete